- Built originally about 1816, as 1 room house then expanded to what it is in the mid 1800’s by John Morse Master Bridge Engineer of his time. Mr. Morse was also a suspected warlock, as well as a Confederate Officer. Directly connected to the James Gang by the confederate effort.
- Jesse James and his Brothers stayed here, and registered their Marks into the existing Register. They are known to associate with Mr. Morse, and that a lot of their actions could be traced to them stealing for the Confederate Army gain. One of them was a cartoonist, drawing in the register.
- Bertha Gifford lived, worked here-1 of the 1st female serial killers in the Nation. She killed numerous kids, and many adults w Arsenic Chocolates for the kids. She worked at the Hotel, and is buried nearby. She was an exceptionally gifted cook, go figure!
- Al Capone rumored to use this as a rest house, speak easy, gambling. The Historians traced his movements to here at the time that he was building his gambling & whiskey operations. He served great Whiskey from here, some of which still exists on the shelves of local grandparents that say it never ran dry at the Morse Mill Hotel. It is also a undisputed fact that Police would never dare to enter this neck of the woods, knowing it was out of their reach.
- Some evidence suggests hotel may have helped the effort to return rebels back to the south. It is referred to as “the Secession Railroad” or “the Chip Trail.”
- Built of Maple, and Limestone . The structure is 4 stories tall. 5,300 sq. ft.
- In front of the Hotel the Stone Wall was built by freed Slaves, hand carved of course.
- Charlie Chaplin marked his stay here! He was a known ’Womanizer’. A nearby elder woman says when she was a child her Mom would complain about this Chaplin man carrying on with young girls.
- This place has been a private home, speakeasy, brothel ,half way house, Confederate Hospital, Underground Railroad, Indian Burial, Post Office, multiple murder scene spanning decades, hanging scene and several known murderers have visited and stayed here.
Today visitors are sometimes greeted by the activity, which tends to begin when they 1st enter, even during the daylight hours. The caretaker has noticed that if people enter in good spirits they meet and experience great things. People that enter that need to settle issues in their life that drive bad attitude do not get the level of what others experience. Spirits feed, or ignore the energy people enter with-our opinion…
Whatever these spirits are they are not stupid, they will out fox you, shut your equipment down, touch you, contact you even possibly walk past you so fast you will freeze. As a eyewitness I will tell you the residents are very fast, and paying attention. For those that can make it to our side, they have got things to say.
If you do not believe, or want to but need proof come visit. We can’t promise but we have a steady list of eyewitness accounts that suggest your going to have something to talk about after you visit. BRAVERY REQUIRED